Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Little History of Belleek China.....

Belleek village is the home of Belleek china. The village is located on the bank of Lough Erne in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Belleek is the most westerly village in Northern Ireland and is bordered by County Donegal.

Belleek china has a history going back to 1857 and is some of the world's finest parian china. Parian is a type of bisque porcelain.

I have two traditional pattern Belleek cups and saucers. One was my Nana Cote's and one was my mom's.

This one with the basket weave and the tree branch handle was my Nana's.

This picture is of my mom's cup and saucer. The Belleek company calls the handle on this cup, the "harp". The cup itself has a clover shape to it.


This past summer daughter number 5 spent 4 weeks in Ireland. She spent part of the time in Northern Ireland. Knowing my love of china she made a point to go to the Belleek factory. After much talking with her host family, she decided on the newer contemporary line, Belleek Living. She shipped back a teapot and two mugs. Only the teapot and one mug survived the trip back to California.


Mr. Math and I will have a traditional St. Patty's day dinner tonight, corn beef, cabbage, carrots. and potatoes. I'm making bread pudding for dessert!

Not a bad dinner for a couple of Irish kids!!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

chris

2 comments:

  1. I just adore Belleek china. Shamrocks are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if the Belleek Living line is actually made in Ireland?

    ReplyDelete