Sunday, March 25, 2012

Depression Glass!

Depression Glass is colored glassware made primarily durnig the Depression years, the 1920's through the 1930's. And in the colors of amber, green, pink, red, blue, yellow, white and crystal. There were other colors made, but the majority of what you might find at garage sales, estate sales, and flea markets are the colors I mentioned above.

Depression glass was inexpensively made glassware. It was machine made in fairly large quantities and sold at five and dime stores or given away as promotional items.

Depression glass was produced by several glass companies; Federal, Hazel-Atlas, Hocking, Indiana, Jeanette, MacBeth-Evans, and U.S. Glass. There were other companies that produced Depression glass but in smaller quantities.

I started collecting Depression glass with my mom when I was in junior high school. We started collecting green Princess, Princess is the name of a pattern, because my nana had a few yellow Princess divided plates. And of course the next time we went to visit nana, we came home with her yellow Princess divided plates, carefully packed in our suitcase. Once my mom and I got going there was no stopping us. My mom LOVED blue Depression glass, of course, one of the hardest colors to find. My mom and I sold glassware at local antique shows for several years in the mid 70's. Some of my favorite memories of spending time with my mom are those selling glassware. She was always up for any adventure!


Stay turned for more about specific Depression glass patterns!!

Enjoy your Sunday!! It's raining here in Santa Clara Valley, and it's a good thing.... we really need the rain!!

chris

3 comments:

  1. I love that green biscuit jar! What a beautiful collection and happy memories of time with your Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, Thanks for your comment! It is a great jar isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see more!!!! I adore Depression Glass and have several pieces. When Worker Bee and I were first married it was very popular to collect (1990) and kind of expensive. Now people don't seem to be as interested and prices seem to have gone down a bit. I guess that's just an impression I have. What is expensive now and was really cheap when we were first married is the Jadeite. I have a ton of it that I got cheap, cheap, cheap! I really am addicted!

    ReplyDelete