Friday, November 11, 2011

Thank You!

Today is Veteran's Day, and I wanted to share a couple of pictures of veterans, who hold a special place in my heart. One of the veterans is my dad Bill... a man who after graduating from Santa Clara University in 1934 worked several different jobs, including the family general market, in La Jolla California. He joined the Army to serve in WWII. He went to Europe on the Queen Mary, which had been recruited as a troop ship. He served as a cryptographer for the US Army Signal Corp in North Africa, Europe and the Battle of the Buldge. He never talked much about his experiences during the war. The only stories I heard were about the fun times. In 1946 he went to work for Western Airlines until he retired in 1977. He passed away in 2005, at the age of 92!! I miss him every day.
My dad and his sister in 1915. My dad is dressed as a solider, WWI era.
My dad's picture as he joined the Army.

The second veteran is my Uncle Bud. He had just finished his freshman year in college at the University of Oregon, where he played football when he was drafted and served in Europe during WWII. He was wounded in the war, sent home to heal, and was sent back to Europe. Upon his return he went to UCLA. He was sent to Korea before he was able to finish his schooling. He was again wounded in Korea. After the Korean War he completed his education at UCLA. He settled in San Diego California, opening a Chevy dealership. He raised an amazing family of five. Uncle Bud passed away in 1998 of lung cancer.

Uncle Bud, my mom in her TWA stewardess uniform, and his proud parents.

I thank God every day for these two wonderful men and the influence they had on my life.

Thank you to all the men and women who serve our country.

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment