Sunday, October 27, 2013

Donna's Block Of The Week!

Donna who blogs at Donna's Lavender Nest is hosting a Quilt Sampler, block of the week follow along.

I absolutely consider myself a beginning quilter, anything other than a square scares the you know what out of me!

I am not good at measuring or cutting fabric. I keep telling myself practice makes perfect.....

BUT

To get better you need to practice the things that scare you.

So I decided to follow along with Donna and her block of the week sampler.

When I saw that the first block was small triangles and squares, I admit I had second thoughts!

I don't do small either....not much room for forgiveness!



The first block! Only one of my corners matches up exactly but the others aren't too bad....I am going to make one more this coming week to see I can get them to match perfectly.

I also decided I'm only going to use fabric that I have on hand....no reason to buy more fabric.

Now the second block was one center square and the rest all triangles!

A big reach for me, the first quilt block I've made using triangles.


My first attempt...not bad.....a couple of the points cutoff and I didn't like the fabrics...they just didn't send me.


The points weren't cut off on this one, but too much distance between the fabrics....and I did not like the red fabric with this either.


The third times the charm right??? I love the fabrics, and the points on this one are much better, I will lose a little bit of the points when I sew the blocks together...maybe this coming week I'll try one more time to see if I can get it just right!

I'm having a lot fun with Donna's quilt sampler follow along.  It's a perfect way to improve my measuring and cutting skills!

Here's to Halloween week!!!

chris


11 comments:

  1. They look good to me! It's hard to critic our own work, all we see are the mistakes and not the whole picture.
    Chris =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crafting is such an art form. So beautiful; I wish I could do it! I'm gonna have to try one day! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always in awe of anyone who can sew/quilt. Your blocks are gorgeous and I really do like the fabric selections. I agree with Chris, we are our own worst critics. You are doing a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practice certainly does make perfect:) Love the colors and you have "got it" girl! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Job Chris !! They look good and your colors are fun !

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty blocks Chris!! The fabric combinations look great together!! :) Hope you have a happy new week! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chris your blocks look great. Your fabric choices are beautiful. Thank you for following along.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, they look great!! I hope I can do as good as you!! I am going to have to catch up! You are a born quilter, I think! But I understand the feeling of starting something you have not done before! I am right there with you!
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  9. They all are so pretty! Great job Chris!! Glad it all worked out and you had fun! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your red, white and aqua colors! Looks like you are having lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete